Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:44:37PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> writes:
> >     starner> I don't recall ever reading this anywhere,

["this" == "Debian is primarily for the sysadmin"]

> > I don't think we ever 'put it on paper'.
> Then it's up to individual developers to choose for themselves.  Now, it
> may in fact be the case that a majority of debian developers care mostly
> about `building Debian GNU/Linux PRIMARILY for the system admin,' but
> it's not at all obvious from reading debian-devel.  Care to offer any
> more concrete references?

aj@cyan:~$ grep 'Maintainer: Turbo Fredriksson' /var/lib/dpkg/available | wc -l
     99
aj@cyan:~$ grep 'Maintainer: .*Bader' /var/lib/dpkg/available | wc -l
      0

db.debian.org and nm.debian.org confirm the latter. Debian's primarily for
whoever its developers want it to be for, not whoever the press thinks is
"the market", nor whoever has the most money or the most time to talk
on mailing lists or weblogs.

So you can take Turbo's opinion -- ie, the opinion of a fairly long term
and productive developer -- to be both indicative and authoritative. If
*you* think Debian would be useful to other people, you're welcome to
equip yourself with the skills required to become a developer and start
helping out. A good way to start gaining the required skills is to find
the existing documentation about how to join.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif