Re: XML Catalogs

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:02:48PM +0200, Frank Lenaerts wrote:
> on Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:54:32AM -0400, christophe barb? wrote about XML Catalogs:
>
> > for dtd and xsl files. When I try to build the documentation all these
> > files are fetched from the web. This is not good for a debian package
> > building process so I could replaced all xsl file urls to the path
> > pointing to the file in the docbook-xsl-stylesheets and docbook-xml
> > packages and it will eventually succeed but as I understand it this is
> > not the correct way to do it.
>
> For maximum flexibility, you normally first refer to a PUBLIC
> identifier, then to a URI (this is mandatory in XML, not in
> SGML). A catalog file maps this PUBLIC identifier to a file on your
> filesystem, so that you do not have to fetch the file from the
> web. People that do not have this catalog file on their system, can
> still use your files by retrieving DTDs etc. via the web.

I understand the idea behind keeping the URL but right know from a
practical point of view using xmlto (which uses xsltproc) no translation
is done.

> > Tim told me that these url should be automagically processed and
> > replaced by local file by what he call "XML Catalogs".
>
> The use of a catalog file depends on the program. Most programs
> however use the SGML_CATALOG_FILES env variable. See the --catalogs
> option in the manpages for xmllint or xsltproc. Apparently, Debian
> also stores XML catalogs in /etc/sgml (and not in /etc/xml). You can
> take a look at a docbook.cat file to see its syntax.

Reading you, It sounds like a xsltproc bug (it should do the translation
URL->local_file but I see nothing in docbook-xsl-stylesheets that looks
like a catalog. And I would expect a general solution.

Christophe

> --
> lenaerts.frank@pandora.be
>
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
> -- Henry Spencer

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
--Ellen Perry Berkeley