Re: XML Catalogs

on Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:54:32AM -0400, christophe barb? wrote about XML Catalogs:

> for dtd and xsl files. When I try to build the documentation all these
> files are fetched from the web. This is not good for a debian package
> building process so I could replaced all xsl file urls to the path
> pointing to the file in the docbook-xsl-stylesheets and docbook-xml
> packages and it will eventually succeed but as I understand it this is
> not the correct way to do it.

For maximum flexibility, you normally first refer to a PUBLIC
identifier, then to a URI (this is mandatory in XML, not in
SGML). A catalog file maps this PUBLIC identifier to a file on your
filesystem, so that you do not have to fetch the file from the
web. People that do not have this catalog file on their system, can
still use your files by retrieving DTDs etc. via the web.

> Tim told me that these url should be automagically processed and
> replaced by local file by what he call "XML Catalogs".

The use of a catalog file depends on the program. Most programs
however use the SGML_CATALOG_FILES env variable. See the --catalogs
option in the manpages for xmllint or xsltproc. Apparently, Debian
also stores XML catalogs in /etc/sgml (and not in /etc/xml). You can
take a look at a docbook.cat file to see its syntax.

--
lenaerts.frank@pandora.be

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer