Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Tue, 28 May 2002 15:53:28 -0400
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:34:11PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 May 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > In this case, I think that this is a sufficiently common problem
> > > that it justifies the existence of a tool.  Another such instance
> > > would be a simple program to check for the existence of a user or
> > > group, which seems to be done in all sorts of weird ways in
> > > maintainer scripts.
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > How does that apply to what I said?
>
> A new tool which does what is desired would eliminate the need to do
> any bogus shell redirection, or worry about subtle shell
> incompatibilities. Since modifying 'which' to be able to be quiet
> could interfere with expected(though obscure) behaviour of 'which',
> the problem could be solved be creating a new program, named something
> else, which would be quiet by default.

Howbout "exists"?

exists -c ls would return true if the "-c"ommand 'ls' is found in $PATH

exists -u jim would return true if jim is a user whose shell is in
/etc/shells

exists -g nogroup would return true if nogroup is a group name

-Jim