Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:34:11PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > In this case, I think that this is a sufficiently common problem that it
> > justifies the existence of a tool.  Another such instance would be a
> > simple program to check for the existence of a user or group, which
> > seems to be done in all sorts of weird ways in maintainer scripts.
>
> Huh?
>
> How does that apply to what I said?

A new tool which does what is desired would eliminate the need to do any
bogus shell redirection, or worry about subtle shell incompatibilities.
Since modifying 'which' to be able to be quiet could interfere with expected
(though obscure) behaviour of 'which', the problem could be solved be
creating a new program, named something else, which would be quiet by
default.

--
 - mdz