Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Tue, 28 May 2002 01:04:35 -0500
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> >>"Jim" == Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu> writes:
>  Jim> If you make it quiet, it will be about as useful as
>  Jim> echo "" > /dev/null
>
> 	Wrong again.
>
> 	if which file 2>&1 >/dev/null; then
>             file blah
>         fi
>  Is useful, even if the output is being discarded.

OK, I see the point now. This makes it a documentation bug, because
the entire (10 lines or so) of man which under woody is

WHICH(1)                                                 WHICH(1)

NAME
       which - locate a command

SYNOPSIS
       which [ filename ] ...

DESCRIPTION
       which  returns  the  files which would be executed had its
       arguments been given as commands.

Debian GNU/Linux           15 May 1997                   WHICH(1)
<<<<<

and nowhere therein is contained anything about exit status...
hence I was to this point unaware it existed.

Someone fix please, and provide an example or two.

As to usefulness of which -q, is it only limited to maintainers,
usage-stats-wise?

> 	manoj

-Jim