Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 03:42:40PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> Below is a list of packages that may use 'command -v' in their #!/bin/sh
> postinsts.  Section 11.4 of Policy states that /bin/sh can be a symlink
> to any POSIX-compatible shell, with an exception for 'echo', and that
> package #!/bin/sh scripts must not use "non-POSIX" features.  Since
> there is no 'command' binary in a package marked Essential,
> the use of 'command -v' is a policy violation.
>
> Other than ignoring this problem, solutions include
[...]
> 2) Amending policy with another /bin/sh exception.

That's my preference.  Of course, I am hardly unbiased as I pretty
consistently and deliberately use command -v in my maintainer scripts.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a