Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 11:19:02PM +0200, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> Change the rules for all the Debian distribution because you find that
> 'command -v' is handy, seems quite excessive to me...

You need to stop hitting the hooch and start thinking more about what
Debian is trying to accomplish.

Over six hundred packages already use it, it prevents the hard-coding of
paths into maintainer scripts and thus renders them more robust against
harmless changes in other packages (e.g., moving traceroute from
/usr/sbin to /usr/bin) and is otherwise useful.  I am far from the only
package maintainer who employs this tool.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      The original Latin seems to have