Re: Bandwidth monitoring

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:04:03PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> I think mrtg is only the program for displaying the graph, you also need
> a source for that information.
>
> I have also heard that cricket is better then mrtg...

MRTG provides a facility for SNMP data collection at least, and possibly
some other methods these days.  I believe that current versions of MRTG can
use an RRDtool backend, but I haven't tried this (I use Cricket).

If you were just tracking packet and byte counters, either package could do
the job.  Since you want a matrix of (host,port)-(host,port) traffic,
neither one of these tools will do what you want.

--
 - mdz