Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:09:22AM -0400, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:58:05PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > By first reading this I agreed with you. After pondering about this
> > issue I claim that the Hurd should not have IP filtering features.
>
> I think you are nuts.  Firewalling is just a small part of a much
> grander scheme, which involves NAT and is very useful.  Even if you
> reject the idea of a firewall, there is no need to put in any extra effort
> into trying to not have this feature.

Everybody thinks I am nuts, I think it's needless to say it.

I only claimed that the Hurd should not have IP filtering as this
discussion is clearly only going about that. I never said the Hurd
shouldn't have support for things as NAT and QOS, but that is part of
routing and not firewalling if I'm right. (And I think NAT is only
needed because IPv4 doesn't have enough addresses and I don't see any
need for it with IPv6)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects