Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:12:44PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > or the same for the kernel itself (also likely to be an easy search..)
>
> What is the kernel patent situation?

I'm not sure, I'm trying to find the patent number so I can look it up to
see for myself whether or not it is a problem.  It was grumbled about on
l-k in I believe 2000 and the discussion promptly died.  I can assume they
decided that it wasn't a problem or to just ignore it, but I don't
currently have more details.  Google's not being extremely helpful today.

The way our luck runs, it's probably a method and apparatus for loading
device driver modules or something.  =p  I do recall some patent worries
attached to the rtlinux patch, but the results I've found don't mention
rtlinux by name, so I cannot be sure that's all it was.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>             Sooner or later, BOOM!

<JHM> AIX - the Unix from the universe where Spock has a beard.