Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <richardk@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

>> Why do users have to type "/hurd/ftpfs" as the name of a
>> translator?  Why can't they just type "ftpfs"?
>
> Among other things, the reason is that the user is giving the exact
> command line.  It's very similar to the case of #! execution.

I don't follow you at all.  Why is the user giving the exact command
line rather than something that can be searched for in a path, as with
conventional program execution?  I'd like to know what the relevant
difference is.

(I think that #! should honor PATH, but it seems unlikely that I'd win
that battle.)

>> (Relatedly, can translators -only- live in /hurd, or could an
>> unprivileged user compile their own and put it in ~/hurd, and have it
>> work?)
>
> Anywhere you like.

Good.

--