Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Richard Kettlewell <richardk@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I don't follow you at all.  Why is the user giving the exact command
> line rather than something that can be searched for in a path, as with
> conventional program execution?  I'd like to know what the relevant
> difference is.
>
> (I think that #! should honor PATH, but it seems unlikely that I'd win
> that battle.)

Because the user's PATH is long gone when the translator is invoked.

The normal case of settrans squirrels the command away, and later when
someone starts accessing that filesystem, it gets executed--in the
context of whatever parent filesystem it's "mounted" on.  (Actually,
that context is carefully managed so that it's as vanilla and default
as possible.)