Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> Nope. The question is whether hurd should be debian compliant.

EVERYONE agrees that the Debian GNU/Hurd must be Debian compliant
before it is released.  EVERYONE.

> Quite the opposite. I worry that debian/hurd will be gratuitously
> different from debian/linux in places where it doesn't have to be.

That's a very different question.

It's also vastly premature and pointless to discuss, given the
universal agreement to the answer for the first question.

> *We* agree here. But does everyone? There still is this fundamental
> question of whether the goal is Debian on hurd, or a Debian-branded
> version of GNU (which happens to include hurd but is not limited to
> that, and which implies that gnu standards should trump debian policy,
> rather than the opposite.)

What?  The goal of the Debian Hurd project is Debian GNU/Hurd.
Nothing more, nothing less.  And that it must certainly conform to
Debian policy--at the point at which it is released.

The GNU Coding Standards are about how people should *write* programs
for GNU.  They are not about the same thing as the FHS; they have a
totally different domain.  The Coding Standards *couldn't* trump the
FHS, even if someone wanted them to, because they are addressing
totally different problems.

Thomas