Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:04:14AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > What is "/dev" on the Hurd? Debootstrap does it as a tarball because
> > MAKEDEV is way too slow to run during an install, because (a) it needs
> > things like /dev/null and such available in the chroot to actually
> > run dpkg and kin, and (b) nothing else populates /dev for you. (a)'s
> > obviously still necessary, but for all I know /dev might get populated
> > by a "devfs"-ish translator, and come essentially for free.
> On the Hurd, /dev is just a bunch of passive translators.  Currently
> we just run a script that sets them all for you; indeed, we do this by
> MAKEDEV which is the locus of remembering in source code the correct
> passive translator specs for all the /dev nodes.

Is this MAKEDEV script completely new, or based on the one we use for
Linux?

If it's the former, then it might turn out that it's fast enough that
we can just run it, rather than doing the tarball nonsense. You might
like to time it, and see.

Have you thought about writing a translator for /dev itself, rather than
using a script to populate a directory? devfs the Hurd way.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif