Re: CVS directories in debian packages

* Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> [020519 04:28]:
> >>"Bernhard" == Bernhard R Link <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
>  Bernhard> While I think this is true for finished packages, I think having
>  Bernhard> CVS in an source-package can make sense for experimental packages
>  Bernhard> to be shared between an group of people. [...]
>
>  b) If you have remote access to your repository, why are people not
>     using that directly? Why must they go through untarring the
>     sources?

I've experienced this with my tries to get openoffice.org code packaged
bit by bit, creating an build-system with autoconf. cvs-Root is the
annonymous cvs from openoffice.org, but there are many files changed
to clean it up. (For example renaming some class, so that there are
no longer two different classes with the same name within the same
namespace, thus avoiding strange segfaults when some export-script
is not exactly what it should be and things like that, or adding
additional search-paths within the binary, so that it can live without
rpath or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, having the libraries linkable with -l in
/usr/lib and modules needed to e processed with some special loader
within /usr/lib/udk, and so on).
Even within my testbeds (Doing the work under potato, but testing it
on other machines with woody or woody with gcc3.0), it was very nice
to be able to update each copy and not only some master-copy.
Checking out the source again and doing patches would cause it
impossible to test, if the source-package works and has the correct
build-dependencies. (And making patches and put them over it could
always fail, when upstream changes one of the files between the diff
and the checkout of the copy.)

Again: I do not think that this is usefull for anything than some
exceptions in the development of experimental packages. But for
thoose it would be nice, if the debian-utilities would not make it
impossible (by e.g. just deleting such dirs).

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link