Re: CVS directories in debian packages

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

 Joey> Can anyone think of a reason for a debian binary package to
 Joey> include a CVS directory? I can't, and about 50 packages in
 Joey> unstable do. For example, it crept into debhelper since I build
 Joey> it out of a CVS tree[1], and a few copies of files into the
 Joey> build dir are overly aggressive.

	It make no sense for CVS directories in binary packages (at
 best, it interferes with the users ability to put the dirs under
 local CVS (I have /etc under CVS).

	It does not make sense for source packages either; CVS
 directories in source trees cause havoc when trying to later import
 the sources into another CVS repository (for example, a user trying
 to keep local modifications of debian sources in a local CVS).

	Additionally, If one does not do a cvs export -kv for a
 package, then the RCS strings would cause problems when further
 trying to import your sources into another CVS repository

	   One often would like to use `-kv' with `cvs export'.  This
 causes any keywords to be expanded such that an import done at some
 other site will not lose the keyword revision information.

	I think, therefore, that CVS dirs should never leave the
 developers machine, whether in binary, or in source packages.

	manoj
--
 Actually, it also looks like we should optimize (13,2,42,8,'hike')
 into a pp_padav copy as well. Larry Wall in