Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 04:06:07AM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> way. We have to fit all those 3 systems into one distribution, but why
> should the whole distribution look like the current practice of
> GNU/Linux?

The current system is Debian, as described by debian-policy.
Although the only released target is Linux, I don't see that
debian-policy is particularly Linux specific.

> Doesn't the current practice of GNU and *BSD matter?

No. If you want a BSD system that feels like FreeBSD, run FreeBSD.
Why change Debian to feel like FreeBSD - what is the advantage?
Similarly, why not run the native Hurd distribution if you want
a system that feels exactly like the GNU system? Why run Debian?

(IS there a native Hurd distribution? I'm not sure.
Perhaps you're trying to make Debian into that product.)

> Especially if the current practices on those operating systems differ
> in a big way.

Then what does it mean to actually be Debian?

Hamish