Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 05:13:46PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:12:29PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > > I assume that you're suggesting here that standardizing on the LSB would
> > > be a logical next step for Linux supporters to take after the FHS.
> > > That's not the case.  The FHS is useful to Debian because having *some*
> > > standard describing the system layout is necessary to ensure that we
> > > produce an internally-consistent system that's easy for both users and
> > > other developers to work with; and all other things being equal, using
> > > a common standard is better than developing our own because it lets us
> > > leverage greater mindshare.
>
> > It's useful to have such a standard, that's why it's specified in the
> > GNU Coding Standard. I don't think the FHS is a good standard
> > however.
>
> A predictable troll of a response.  If you haven't figured out by now
> why your efforts to reduce all discussions to a "GNU vs. the
> unenlightened" debate have been met with scorn, then I for one will not
> miss you when you go.

GNU/Hurd is the GNU system where it is done the GNU way like GNU/Linux
is done in the done the GNU/Linux way and *BSD is done the *BSD
way. We have to fit all those 3 systems into one distribution, but why
should the whole distribution look like the current practice of
GNU/Linux? Doesn't the current practice of GNU and *BSD matter?
Shouldn't we have a discussion what the Debian way actually is?
Especially if the current practices on those operating systems differ
in a big way.

The problem with some Debian developers is that they think they can
use all Debian GNU/Linux things on GNU/Hurd and *BSD without a
problem. That's not the case.

The other fucking problem is that some Debian developers don't want to
listen if you have a different opinion. A lot of people on this list
are closed-minded like hell.

Note that I say 'some' here.

And why do you drop the CC of debian-hurd? Don't you think this
discussion also matters to them?

Jeroen Dekkers,
Who is happy that this is his last thread on debian-devel
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org