Re: root partition and ext3

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:19:14AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for bothering you. I know this has been a thread on debian-devel
> already. I followed parts of it, but did not get a clear understanding
> of what to do. My installed kernel is kernel-image-2.4.18-5-686.
>
> After successful transfer of all partitions to ext3, using tune2fs -j
> /dev/sda?, I thought everything was OK, also for the root
> partition. But its NOT! While having both ext2 and ext3 as modules, as
> with kernel-2.4.18-5, the root partition is mounted as ext2, not
> ext3. This has been verified when rebooting after problems with
> shutdown (especially with upgrading glibc etc) when the root partition
> is uncleanly unmounted.  How to resolve this, the fstab entry is
> useless since it's on the not yet mounted on the / partition...?  I
> assume mounting of the root partition is taken care of by the kernel..
>
> mount
> /dev/sda1 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw)
>
> cat /etc//fstab:
> /dev/sda1       /              ext3,ext2   defaults              0      1

What happens is, the kernel will try the first module (from initrd) that
can mount the partition. It just happens to find ext2 first.
You need to put a line

    ext3

in your /etc/mkinitrd/modules, and remove any line saying

    ext2

(all your partitions are ext3, right?). Then, rerun mkinitrd. Read man
mkinitrd first.

--
Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands