Re: root partition and ext3

on Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:19:14AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote about root partition and ext3:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for bothering you. I know this has been a thread on debian-devel
> already. I followed parts of it, but did not get a clear understanding
> of what to do. My installed kernel is kernel-image-2.4.18-5-686.
>
> After successful transfer of all partitions to ext3, using tune2fs -j
> /dev/sda?, I thought everything was OK, also for the root
> partition. But its NOT! While having both ext2 and ext3 as modules,
> as

As you have ext2 and ext3 as modules, I suppose you have an initrd
kernel. Your initrd kernel should be able to load the ext3 module. If
your kernel has support cramfs, you should be able to do the following
to check this.

# cp /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686 /tmp
# mount /tmp/initrd.img-2.4.18-686 /mnt
# cat /mnt/loadmodules

In my case, the output looks like:

modprobe -k ide-probe-mod
modprobe -k ide-mod
modprobe -k ide-disk
modprobe -k ext3
modprobe -k ext2
modprobe -k auto

> with kernel-2.4.18-5, the root partition is mounted as ext2, not
> ext3. This has been verified when rebooting after problems with
> shutdown (especially with upgrading glibc etc) when the root partition
> is uncleanly unmounted.  How to resolve this, the fstab entry is
> useless since it's on the not yet mounted on the / partition...?  I
> assume mounting of the root partition is taken care of by the kernel..
>
> mount

Better do a cat /proc/mounts as the output from the mount command seems
to be retrieved via /etc/fstab. In my case, the following entries are
interesting. The initial ramdisk, which is of type cramfs, is first
mounted as root, then moved to root.old. The initrd loads the real
kernel image and mounts the root as ext3.

/dev/root.old /initrd cramfs rw 0 0
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 / ext3 rw 0 0

> /dev/sda1 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw)
>
> cat /etc//fstab:
> /dev/sda1       /              ext3,ext2   defaults              0
> 1

You can also use "auto" instead of "ext3,ext2" (for more info:
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html#ss5.8 )

/dev/hda1	/		auto	defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=journal