Re: Editor Priorities

Hi,

At Thu, 9 May 2002 22:55:11 +1000,
Russell Coker wrote:

> I think that it's unreasonable to label people as racist because they don't
> support your first language.

Well, you are right.  I am sorry for using too provocating word,
since I don't know how to express my impression in proper English.

However, my point is that now there *exists* an easy and realistic
way to improve i18n without pressing inconvenience to do-not-need-
any-more-i18n-improvement people.

> > I didn't hear any convincing opinion against it.  Anyway, I decided
> > to improve and internationalize terminal emulators.  It takes years
> > and now it is partly successful.  rxvt-beta and eterm have LC_CTYPE
> > sensibility support which is written by me.  I am also joining the
> > development of mlterm and try to improve xterm with Juliusz's luit.
>
> That sounds great!

Thank you!  Please join us if you are interested in.

> True, however first we need to have working i18n code, then we can look into
> better support with alternatives etc.

Well, though i18n code (upstream level) must precede, alternatives
etc (distribution level) can follow it when a few out of many
softwares are internationalized.  Of course, when *all* of upstream
softwares are internationalized, we won't need alternative mechanism
any more.  "8bit cleanness" is in this maturity level.  However, I
don't think such a maturity level can be achieved for CJK/bidi/Indic/
combining in any future, because about half of people in the world
(and majority of open source developers) don't need nor know about
such languages.  Thus, I think alternative mechanism will be needed
for text editors even in future.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/