Re: Editor Priorities

Hi,

At 08 May 2002 21:57:27 -0500,
Jeff Licquia wrote:

> If the priority system is allowed to take runtime factors into account,
> then I would propose that editors that can directly support the user's
> LANG setting be given a +20 or so.

Yes, I have proposed LANG setting sensibility (strictly speaking,
LC_CTYPE locale sensibility).

> Of course, this would have no effect for English users (since just about
> all editors support ASCII), but would grant the proper preference for
> CJK, bidi, etc.

Right.  However, I proposed CJK/bidi/Indic/combining besides LC_CTYPE
sensibility because some of LC_CTYPE-sensible softwares don't support
CJK/bidi/Indic/combining.  For example, it is very likely

  LANG=en_US foobareditor         OK
  LANG=fr_FR@euro foobareditor    OK
  LANG=ja_JP.eucJP foobareditor   NG

Thus I suggested to add CJK bidi/Indic/combining.

> I might also give more of a preference to UTF8-capable editors, since
> that's supposed to be the Great Hope for many i18n/l10n issues in the
> future.  There's nothing like encouraging good behavior now.

I agree that UTF-8 is a great hope for *future*.  However, CJK/bidi/Indic/
combining is sereous need for *now*; softwares without these supports
are just like what European people feel about non-8bit-clean softwares.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/