Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:55:48PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > GNU/Hurd has /usr. It's only a symlink *by default*, but that doesn't
> > matter. The /usr directory was invented with a good reason. We throw
> > it away with a good reason, we can do the things /usr was invented for
> > better using shadowfs.
>
> Just asking.. does shadowfs really work these days?

There is an implementation by Moritz Schulte, he is working on a new
snapshot release of his development tree.  (The first snapshot he released
some time ago was also functional, but not semantically correct, because it
did provide access as the user shadowfs was running as, instead the user who
accesses shadowfs.  This has now been fixed and he is working on a cache for
efficiency right now).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de