Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 19:31, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> The choice of library should be up to the dynamic linker, using the
> information provided at compile-time.

I think we are getting threads crossed here. This thread has nothing to
do with the other thread I started on libreadline.

The initial question is what happens if a package containing a shared
library contains other binaries?

There seemed to be three solutions:

        1. each version of the shared library conflicts. Not really a
           solution.
        2. move the binary to a separate package.
        3. use update alternatives on the binary, so it doesn't need to
           conflict any more.

Hence the point here, in this thread, is not to use update alternatives
on the libraries, but the binary program which conflicts. Presumably 2
cannot be used because the binary depends on the exact version of the
library being installed.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>