Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:40:16AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
> > and I'm not at all clear why. Playing games with pivot_root is hideous
> > and should be (is, sometimes) completely unnecessary.
>
> Actually, pivot_root is the recommended method of doing this.  The
> old change root mechanism is obsolete.  The only task is to convert

The specific mechanism isn't the hideous part. The hideous part is the
suggestion that the rootfs type be somehow hardcoded into a new
(debian-specific) mechanism in the initrd. That's not the current case,
nor should it be.  If that's not what that bug report was mean to
suggest, and the only point of the bug report was to switch from change
root to pivot_root, I don't understand how it's at all relevant to the
ext3 problem.

--
Mike Stone