Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:30:58AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 3 May 2002 01:56, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > yes, you did. if ext3 module can be loaded from a initrd you can mount
> > your ext3 volume as root.
>
> If you put in your own script in the initrd to mount the file system with "-t
> ext3" and then use pivot_root to do it then yes you can do that.
[snip]
> > yes, tune2fs -j /dev/your_hd
>
> Please read my previous message on this topic.  Doing that is not enough.

Unfortunately, that *is* enough, sometimes. (I've got several machines
sitting around with stock kernels & ext3 that are doing exactly that.)
What should happen is that the kernel should try to mount the root
partition with whatever filesystems it knows about, and be happy if it
mounts ext3, and mount ext2 otherwise. But sometimes this doesn't work,
and I'm not at all clear why. Playing games with pivot_root is hideous
and should be (is, sometimes) completely unnecessary.

--
Mike Stone