Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jeff Carr wrote:
> > My default install of woody doesn't have a /etc/filesystems file. Is it
> > the debian default to not make one? /etc/filesystems is one of the ways
> > mount decides what filesystem types to try.
>
> The kernel can do that itself.

Actually, mount does that. It first checks whether the superblock is one
of a list of filesystems in an internal list, then checks
/etc/filesystems and tries every filesystem type listed there, then
does the same with /proc/filesystems.

Since /proc/filesystems is dynamically created using information from
loaded drivers, /etc/filesystems is the only way a user can force an order
on the tried filesystems. This is especially interesting for fat vs vfat
and similar.

Although it won't help in this case; ext3 as well as ext2 are in mount's
internal list (and no, I don't know in which order ;-)

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"