Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 10:52:05PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> immo vero scripsit:
>
> > > No, -dev should have the following entry:
> > >
> > > Package: libsomething1-dev
> > > Provides: libsomething-dev
> > > Conflicts: libsomething-dev
> > >
> > > so that only one version of the -dev package will be installable.
> >
> > I took a random example from the list (there are probably more of
> > these examples, or I was just lucky to get this one). The lucky
> > package was libpspell4. The binary in that package is
> > pspell-config.
> >
> > Now what is this binary doing? It gives the following 3 pieces of
> > information: version (.12.2), datadir (/usr/share), pkgdatadir
> > (/usr/share/pspell). What  the hell should this package do in *-dev?
> > It's given information about the pspell installation it is coming with.
>
> This binary should be in -dev so that when linking binaries,
> applications can use the information.
>
> Not required at all for running applications linked with it.

I wouldn't care about moving all these thing to compile-time, but some
people want to support non-free software which can't be
recompiled. Then a program needs to find out which version of libpspell
it's talking to and which directories you use.

I think it should be done at run-time anyhow, it gives you more
flexibility.

> I think you have more things to learn first before making
> comments.

You should learn to be less arrogant.

Jeroen Dekkers
--