Re: BTS improvements (was: Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> Still, they are proper bugs and the severity serious is correct.

 Marcus> It bothers me that the severity of a bug can not be
 Marcus> maintained during the release process.  Bug severities are
 Marcus> downgraded to make the release happen, and then upgraded
 Marcus> afterwards (for example, this happens with architecture
 Marcus> specific bugs, depending on if the architecture is released
 Marcus> or not).

	This is, in my opinion, the wrong thing to do. Firstly we need
 to decouple the notion of RCness from critical/grave/serious -- only
 the RM can decide what to hold up a release for. Historically, we may
 say that critical/grave/serious have usually been deemd RC.

	We really should have the RC list generated by bugscan, with a
 overrides file (we already have this) controlled by the RM -- and
 that list should then be the official list for RC bugs.

	Bugs are never downgraded, then, they are merely added to the
 override file by the RM

	I seem to recall that we used to do that, a few releases ago.

	manoj
--
 "VMS isn't an operating system, it's a playpen for DEC system
 programmers." Herb Blashtfalt