[ Request for Help ] Re: BTS improvements (was: Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
>  Marcus> Still, they are proper bugs and the severity serious is correct.
>
>  Marcus> It bothers me that the severity of a bug can not be
>  Marcus> maintained during the release process.  Bug severities are
>  Marcus> downgraded to make the release happen, and then upgraded
>  Marcus> afterwards (for example, this happens with architecture
>  Marcus> specific bugs, depending on if the architecture is released
>  Marcus> or not).
>
> 	This is, in my opinion, the wrong thing to do. Firstly we need
>  to decouple the notion of RCness from critical/grave/serious -- only
>  the RM can decide what to hold up a release for. Historically, we may
>  say that critical/grave/serious have usually been deemd RC.
>
> 	We really should have the RC list generated by bugscan, with a
>  overrides file (we already have this) controlled by the RM -- and
>  that list should then be the official list for RC bugs.

I rather dislike having all this bts-related meta-data not stored along side
the rest of the other bts meta-data.

The problem in the past has been that the bts has not lent itself well to
being extended.  There has also been a lack of people who know how the
system worked, and could follow the code.

However, we have 3 fairly regular(regular being relative in this sense)
workers on the bts code(Anthony Towns, Joy Rodin, and I), and a few others who
dabble offline.  The first 3 are actually on owner@bugs.

I would love to have the debbugs code, and bts itself, be a more open process.
However, there isn't really that much that goes on behind the scenses.  What I
am wanting, is people who would like to start fixing the debbugs code, to make
it more readable, easier to work with, extend, and to add new features.

If you would like to help out, then please subscribe to
debian-debbugs@lists.debian.org, and we can start this going.