Re: New Package Developer

* Junichi Uekawa

| Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no> scripsit:
|
| > * Michael Weber
| >
| > | I decided in favor of a more complicated Depends line at that time,
| > | but if (despite of keeping all the above in mind) there is a
| > | convincing argument for a name-versioned package, please speak up. :)
| >
| > Make the package provide ghc5.02.2 and have packages depend on that?
|
| So that every new release of ghc will break old programs
| compiled against older ghc?

Why is this worse than what the maintainer proposed:

: Basically, you can't. A while back a limitation of ghc
: wrt. libraries has been discovered.  In particular, it is only
: guaranteed that a library works with the exact version (plus
: patchlevel) of the compiler it was compiled with.  IOW, if it was
: compiled with ghc5-5.02.2-something, the Depends would look like:
:
: 	ghc5 (>= 5.02.2), ghc5 (<< 5.02.3)

it will break just as badly.

--
Tollef Fog Heen                                                  ,''`.
                                                                : :' :