Re: new draft release announcement

Hello Joey and list,

  i started off noting some spelling things
  but wandered off to some larger changes too.
  Pick what you like :-)

Joey Hess wrote:

> (It's pretty well done now. Spelling and grammar corrections
> appreciated.)
>
> ***** THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT *****
> * Debian is NOT released! This is a DRAFT announcement *
> * for an UNRELEASED version of Debian. Go away.        *
> ***** THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT *****

 What is the title ?

> The Debian Project is pleased to announce the latest release of Debian

 It is more than just the latest point release.
 How about rephrasing that as :
   The Debian Project is pleased to announce a new major release of
Debian

> GNU/Linux, version 3.0.

 I would use a ':' here instead of a ','

>                         Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system,

 It is more than only an operating system,
 How about rephrasing it as :
                          Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system
 that comes with a boatload of free application programs. It is

> developed by nearly a thousand volunteers from all over the world who
> collaborate via the Internet. Debian's dedication to free software, its
> non-profit nature, and its open development model make it unique among
> Linux distributions.
>
> This is the first version of Debian to feature cryptographic software
> integrated into the main distribution, rather than as an optional add-on.
> OpenSSH and GNU Privacy Guard are included in the default install, and
> strong encryption is now present in web browsers and web servers,

 Maybe a ',' between "browsers" and "web servers" instead of "and" ?

> databases, and so forth. Further integration of crypto is planned for
> future releases.
>
> With the addition of the ia64, hppa, mips, mipsel, and s390 architectures,
> Debian GNU/Linux now supports a total of eleven architectures. It now runs on
> computers ranging from palmtops to supercomputers, and nearly everything
> in between, including the latest generation of 64 bit machines.
>
> For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The
> GNOME desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is
> upgraded to the much improved XFree86 4.1. With the addition of several

 "much improved" sounds good. What new goodies does it bring ?

> full featured free graphical web browsers in the form of mozilla, galeon,

 Maybe "namely" in stead of "in the form of" ?
 and "full-featured" (for easier reading) ?

> and konqueror, Debian's desktop offerings have radically improved.
>
> This version of Debian supports the 2.2 and 2.4 releases of the Linux
> kernel. Along with better support for a greater variety of new hardware
> (such as USB) and significant improvements in usability and stability, the
> 2.4 kernel provides support for the ext3 and reiserfs journaling filesystems.

 Kernel 2.2 is included because it is dependable enough for industrial
use.
   Maybe mention that ?
 Kernel 2.4 has new iptables or something ??

> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 features a more streamlined and polished installation,

 Maybe rephrase "a more streamlined" as "an even more streamlined" ?
 (to avoid the impression that previously installs were not smooth)

> which is translated into numerous languages.
 Maybe rephrase it as "which is available in many languages" ?
 (The install is a happening. Happenings are not translatable.)
 (maybe a link to a list of languages to see how lucky we are ?)

>                                              The debconf tool is used to

 Maybe say "the new debconf tool" ?
 (wasnt used in potato i guess)

> streamline configuration of the system. The task system has been revamped
> and made more flexible. Debian GNU/Linux can be installed from CD, or from
> the network and a few floppies. It can be downloaded now, and will soon be
> available on CD-ROM from numerous vendors (http://www.debian.org/CD).
>
> Upgrades to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 from earlier releases are
> automatically handled by the apt package management tool. As always,
> Debian GNU/Linux systems can be upgraded painlessly, in place, with no
> downtime. For detailed documentation about installing and upgrading

 Maybe "instructions and documentation" ?
 (to stress that it's not just background info).
 (why are the installation instructions in the release notes ?
  i expected them to be in a separate document.)

> Debian GNU/Linux, please see the release notes
> (http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/release-notes/).
>
> Current Debian users may be interested to know that this release of Debian
> supports build dependencies, to aid in building packages from source, and
> apt pinning, to ease partial upgrades to our testing branch. Aptitude is
> a replacement for the venerable dselect program and will make it easier to

 "an improved replacement" ?

> select packages. Four thousand new software packages are added to the
> distribution in Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.

 Maybe add " , making a total of 9000 packages."
 (not sure about the number.)

> This is the first release of Debian to be compliant with version 2.2 of the
> FHS. Debian GNU/Linux now also supports software developed for the Linux

 Maybe write "FHS" as "File Hierarchy Standard" ?
 (for people who dont use it every day)

> Standard Base (LSB).
>
> Debian 3.0 is the culmination of years of work by many thousands of
> developers, not only from the Debian project but throughout the free
> software community, and by many commercial enterprises. While some have

 Does this mean that some Debian supporting enterprises have fallen
along the way ?
 Why mention it ?

> fallen along the way, Debian has weathered recent troubles well,

 You mean the DPL election ?  :-)

>                                                                  thanks to
> its volunteer base, its dedication to the Debian Social Contract, and its
> commitment to provide the best operating system possible. This is another
> important step in that direction.

 I am missing info on the soon-to-arrive open-office debs,
   and on the availability of both gcc's 2.95 and 3.
 Also, being technically oriented, i would like to know
   what hardware is needed to install Woody on.
   (and why is the name 'Woody' not mentioned ?
    names are more cuddly than numbers, i think.)
 And maybe a general link to www.debian.org ?
   (eg for details about which languages are available)

 About Paragraphs.

 Current paragraph layout :

	Announce What
	Crypto
	Architectures
	Desktop, X & Browsers
	Kernels
	Installing and getting
	Installing and upgrading
	Apt-pinning, build dependencies & number of packages
	FHS and LSB
	Community dedication

 To me, desktop, X and browsers are different subjects.
   Maybe put them in separate paragraphs ?
   (I am convinced that the X upgrade has more merits than were
mentioned)
 I think it is possible to put all info about installing in one place,
   (whether that is desirable is up to you ofcourse),
   here is what i have cut&pasted :

	Upgrades to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 from earlier releases are handled
	automatically by the apt package management tool. As always,
	Debian GNU/Linux systems can be upgraded painlessly, in place,
	with no downtime.

	Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 features a more streamlined and polished
installation,
	which is translated into numerous languages.
	The debconf tool is used to streamline configuration of the system.
	The task system has been revamped and made more flexible.

	For detailed documentation about installing and upgrading Debian
GNU/Linux,
        please see the release notes
	(http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/release-notes/).

	Debian GNU/Linux can be installed from CD, or from
	the network and a few floppies. It can be downloaded now, and will soon
be
	available on CD-ROM from numerous vendors (http://www.debian.org/CD).

 With this new sequencing, it would be logical to put the Apt-pinning
paragraph
   before the upgrade paragraph (both deal with upgrading)
 The FHS/LSB paragraph could be between Apt-pinning and Kernels
(standards are
   the least attractive of the new features and are not installation
related),
   although it would be nicer if these announcements of a standard that
was always
   adhered to and (maybe) has a new version, and a standard that Debian
is planning
   to adhere to but doesnt yet, were replaced by an announcement of
Debian being
   fully ready to work with the open-office debs once they are ready.
   (well, thats my way of thinking, great thing about debian is that it
contains
    so many other viewpoints, often more valid and surprisingly
refreshing)

 The number of packages might be mentioned more harmoniously in the
AnnounceWhat
   paragraph.

 Why the community dedication paragraph includes a mention of unnamed
others being 	   unfortunate, without expressing a feeling or a thought
about that, i dont know.
   Is it meant for insiders ?

 My taste in paragraph sequence (i'm sure everybody else's differs) is :
	Title
	Announce What & number of packages
	Crypto
	Architectures
	Kernels (cc)
	Desktop
	Browsers
	FHS and LSB
	Apt-pinning, build dependencies
	upgrading
	Installing
	Installation/upgrade guide
	getting
	Community dedication
	signature

 Thanks for your dedication and your work. It looks good.

 have fun !

   Siward