Re: RFC: very large, redundant packages

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:51:42PM -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > It requires an IP address for the UML system so that it can download
> > packages.
>
> Hmm, why not use a private address and an outside proxy? or even slirp,
> from a fake tty?  Sure it's a bit of a kludge, but it provides even more
> isolation, as well as zero-config...

Because many networks use private (RFC1918) addresses, so there is a
possibility for conflict.  There is no guaranteed way (with IPv4 anyway) to
automatically configure a unique and usable network address.

My best idea so far is to create a package (similar to vmnet) which allows
the system administrator to specify a list of users and which IP addresses
they are allowed to use.  Then, I could depend on this package to provide
network configuration information.

This would also be useful for plain UML, hercules, and many other things.

--
 - mdz