Re: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Your Packages (But Were Afraid to Ask)

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 03:15:04PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > Spambouncer and spamassasin are great tools, and they rarely produce false
> > positives.  But where bandwidth is limited through technical or financial
> > hurdles, they're not enough.
>
> Nothing will protect you from this; as noted, the information is available
> elsewhere on Debian's website, as well. If it is a financial burden, then
> the only useful method of appeal is probably through legal redress (either
> legislative or judiciary, depending on your system; some may support forms
> of executive as well :)

Well in the US, I suppose the wrong person was elected.  Our real choices
were between the guy who invented the internet and some clown who wonders
why the TV in his office has a typewriter in front of it.  The latter won,
so there's no chance of executive intervention I think.  ;)

> Seriously - hiding from it only delays matters, and not that long. I have
> addresses that have *never* been published, anywhere; their sole purpose
> is to spam-trap. And they get multiple spams, every day.

True, but the fewer webpages advertise my email address, the less spam I
get.  This is generally a good thing.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>              Goldfish don't bounce

<doogie> there is one bad thing about having a cell phone.
<doogie> I can be reached at any time. :|
<wmono> that's why I leave mine off at all times. ;>