Re: Quarteryearly reminder (ftpmaster delaying installation)

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 07:35:34PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Piefel wrote:
> > I think it is extremely bad style to delay package inclusion by such a
> > long time-span. I didn't know that Debian maintainers weren't allow to
> > package what they would deem reasonable, but that there are people
> > behind the scenes who decide for us.
>
> It is one thing for a debian developer to package what he deems
> reasonable, after appropriate ITP messages, and quite another for a
> debian developer to fork a core component of debian, which is a debian
> native package. I for one am glad that the ftp admins seem to be leery
> of giving this fork any legitimacy, although I wish they could be more
> transparent[1] about it.
>
> [1] REJECTED

Does it fail to comply with policy? I fail to see why code forked from a
Debian package, core or otherwise, is any less worthy of inclusion that
any other forked code - of which we have lots.

If you don't want your code forked, don't license it so that it's forkable.
Oh, wait... that's part of what we expect from code, so that the developer
has the right to fork code if they see a need.

I do not think that exclusion by compliance with unstated FTP Master policy
is an acceptable method of selecting packages. Granted, this may in fact
have nothing to do with why the package hasn't moved; I would not presume
to speak for them. But I think the origional poster does have a point - 3
months is an excessive period of time for a package to be sitting in NEW,
without at least some form of action - especially if other packages are
going in that were submitted long after. A call for an explanation is not
unreasonable.