Heimdal vs. Kerberos4kth

Hello,

I am getting into all sorts of problems trying to keep kerberos4kth
support in Heimdal.

If I keep it, I get grave bug reports that the package cannot get built
because of a build loop with kerberos4kth.

If I remove it, I get grave bug reports complaining that kerberos4kth is
no longer supported.

If I try to modify the configure scripts to eliminate the build depends
loop at its source, configure complains loudly about parts of the
configure scripts I have not changed, and at least one error I cannot
identify the cause (see below).

If I upload a version of Heimdal without kerberos4kth support, and wait
for the autobuilders to build it and kerberos4kth support, and upload
a new version with kerberos4kth support back in again, then I mess up
and upload the new version before all architectures have been built (I
thought it was OK, but then realized that some architectures, sparc and
ia64 haven't been built yet - strange - its had a whole week).

If I try all of the above, then I end up wasting valuable time
which could be better spent on more productive Debian projects.

What should I do?

1. Drop kerberos4kth support for now. My favorite ;-). However,
this might break other packages like Arla.

2. Fix autoconf problems, and allow Heimdal use shared libraries
from kerberos4kth (instead of vice versa). This will require keeping
the changes up to date with the latest upstream source, until
upstream integrate the changes.

3. mail debian-devel asking for assistance.

4. wait and see if sparc and ia64 get built before the next version
of Heimdal gets in (not sure about this yet, 1st email said package
was rejected, 2nd email received suggests that it was installed, it
doesn't seem to be in incoming, but madison reports new version not
installed yet), and if required upload a new version of Heimdal without
kerberos4kth support while the builders on these platforms do their
stuff.

Now for the autoconf errors, any ideas?

Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
configure.in:5: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or
m4_bpatsubst
configure.in:57: warning: AC_PROG_LEX invoked multiple times

[these are warnings only I think I can ignore them]

configure.in:77: /usr/bin/m4: Bad regular expression: `AH_OUTPUT([00001], AS_ESCAPE([[#ifndef RCSID
#define RCSID(msg) \ static /**/const char *const rcsid[] = { (const char *)rcsid, "\100(#)" msg }
#endif

[ many lines deleted ]

]]))': Invalid back reference

[ I did a search for AH_OUTPUT, but found no matches. This error
has me stuck. ]

configure.in:708: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
configure.in:652: error: do not use LIBOBJS directly, use AC_LIBOBJ (see section `AC_LIBOBJ vs. LIBOBJS'

As far as I can tell, the problems indicated in that info page
do not apply to this case:

LTLIBOBJS=`echo "$LIBOBJS" | sed 's/\.o/\.lo/g'`
AC_SUBST(LTLIBOBJS)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>