Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

Joseph Carter wrote:
> I recall seeing someplace a document which describes how to add XFree86
> 4.1's server to Debian's older 4.0.x X packages.  A quick google doesn't
> turn it up, but perhaps if someone has a link to the document it could be
> generalized and included someplace that users can find it?  It covered
> installing the XFree server from source or binary and procedure to remove
> it when Branden finished XFree 4.1 packages.  (I hope the document was not
> taken down when 4.1 packages were ready, everything in it still applies
> today to 4.2..)

Dunno, but I only had to do:

1. Download Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz
   from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries
2. Untar over top of xserver-xfree86's files and fix X symlink.
3. Put xserver-xfree86 on hold.

It took all of 10 minutes from a standing start, less time than many
winers seem to spend on their flames.

Xdm doesn't work, but that's the only breakage I've run into.

--
see shy jo