Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:43:51AM -0400, Ashton Trey Belew wrote:
> 	Just thought I would pipe in that I am supremely happy with the X
> 4.1 package.

I can only add to the discussion that XFree 4.1 also runs fine with the
XFree 4.2.0 server.  The server is much simpler to compile (or even NOT
compile for that matter if you'd prefer not to do so) than the whole of
XFree86, and is all that is required to add support for the latest
hardware.

I recall seeing someplace a document which describes how to add XFree86
4.1's server to Debian's older 4.0.x X packages.  A quick google doesn't
turn it up, but perhaps if someone has a link to the document it could be
generalized and included someplace that users can find it?  It covered
installing the XFree server from source or binary and procedure to remove
it when Branden finished XFree 4.1 packages.  (I hope the document was not
taken down when 4.1 packages were ready, everything in it still applies
today to 4.2..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>                   Here we go again

<FrikaC> I should probably reboot...
<FrikaC> ok brb
<FrikaC> So, what apart form avoiding virii, memory leaks, and rampant
         crashing does Linux reallhy offer :)
<LordHavoc> reliable multitasking?