Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

在 Tue, 2002-04-16 12:14, Lasse Karkkainen 寫道:
> Hi!   (it's my first post here)
>
> You are probably sick and tired of this topic, but ...
> IT'S A QUARTER YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF 4.2.0 RELEASE!
>
> Yes, it really has been three (3) months (!) since it was released.

Why do people like you insists on having the latest version of
everything without making sure that it's actually _better_ than what we
have?

Rather than repeating what most others have said, I'll give you one more
reason why not rushing 4.2.0 into woody is a good thing: the whole i18n
architecture changed from 4.1 to 4.2, and many bugs _were_ introduced in
the transition -- like X clients segfault on startup if Xlib can't find
the input method specified in the environment, and so on.  I for one am
glad that Branden is not rushing things through.

Just because upstream calls something a ".0" or "stable" release,
doesn't automatically mean that it meets our (and our users') quality
expectations.  As you said yourself,

> XF is way too essential component to be ignored like this.

Regards

Roger