Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Lasse Karkkainen wrote:

> Someone said that X is a difficult package to maintain and that there is
> nothing wrong if PACKAGING it takes 3+ months. People have managed to
> install it from sources in matter of HOURS (well, that didn't work for
> me, dunno why). Based on that packaging it during a single weekend
> should be possible.

You've admitted you have no clue about Debian internals, and yet you are
willing to espouse what should be possible, without any actual knowledge of
what needs to be done.

Does that strike you as a little naive?

> As we are talking about UNSTABLE here, no real
> testing needs to be done before releasing - that's what the Debian
> Unstable is for, right?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Although unstable is the first stop for packages, that doesn't mean that
maintainers should dump whatever cruft they feel like in there - and
ESPECIALLY when it's something as big and complex as XFree.  That's just not
something you want to think about doing, unless you have a desire to piss
off an extraordinary number of people.

> > while. "I have too much stuff to do to actually help Debian, but I'm
> > willing to order around volunteers." Part of the reason Branden is the X
> > maintainer, is because X is possibly the hardest package in Debian to
> > maintain, and Branden is willing and able to do a job most of the rest
> > of us couldn't or wouldn't.
>
> I have seen that same model happening in many places (trustees of
> associations, software developers, ..). Everybody thinks that someone is
> vital for what he is doing and no-one is willing to replace him... Well,
> then someone else comes and questions that - and gets lots of flame.
> Often that still, finally, leads to replacing that person with a new,
> "fresh" one. Usually the change is for the good, after all. People who
> have done something for ages just don't care about it anymore, but new
> people are willing to devote all their time for it..

Unless, of course, their name is tronic.  In which case they just feel that
they should spout off at those who are doing the real work, without any
intention of doing any themselves.

A few sayings come to mind:

Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I debated putting this one in, but it seems to sum it up rather nicely:

FOAD.