problems with nfs on Debian unstable.

I'm hoping someone here can help with this problem, maybe the NFS
maintainer?

I installed an official kernel-source-2.4.17 and compiled it up.
Recently, I also compiled in nfs support:

(root@Mallard:linux-2.4.17)# grep -i nfs .config
# CONFIG_NFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y

note that it's compiled in and not as a module. I've installed the
nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server:

(root@Mallard:linux-2.4.17)# dpkg --status nfs-common | grep Version
Version: 1:1.0-2

dpkg --status nfs-kernel-server | grep Version
Version: 1:1.0-2

however, when my system boots, exportfs gives me an error:

Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...bufflehead:/home/oldusers:
Function not implemented.

If I run exportfs by itself on the command line, I get the following:
(root@Mallard:duckwing)# /usr/sbin/exportfs -r -v
exporting bufflehead:/usr/local/xterminal
exporting bufflehead:/usr/local/xterminal to kernel
bufflehead:/usr/local/xterminal: Function not implemented

looking at my /var/log/syslog I see the following:

Apr 16 07:11:30 Mallard nfsd[1782]: nfssvc: Function not implemented

how can nfssvc not be implemented when I have nfs compiled into the
kernel and the proper nfs packages installed on my system? what am I
missing.

my xtab is blank and running exportfs -a does nothing. Here's my
/etc/exports:

# /etc/exports: the access control list for file systems which may be exported
#		to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
/usr/local/xterminal 192.168.1.20(rw,no_root_squash)

anyone have ideas as to what is going on? This shouldn't be that hard to
set up. I'm running Debian Sid:

(root@Mallard:linux-2.4.17)# cat /etc/debian_version
3.0

thanks for any help anyone can give.

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                          duckwing@duckwing.ca
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.4.17)              http://www.duckwing.ca
                                            PGP key available on request