Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:20:38PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:25:47PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > This problem is very common for non-free software. If you want to
> > avoid such problems, you could try one of the free alternatives in
> > Debian, plex86 and bochs. Those might have other problems (like being
> > slower) but you probably won't have the same problems you're having
> > now. We can also help you with problems you are having with plex86 and
> > bochs. If you insist on using vmware, we can't help you, you should go
> > to the vmware guys when you've got problems.
>
> s/we/I/i

Okay.

> Suggest free alternatives, yes.
>
> Offer help for the free alternatives, yes.

I did both.

> Blow off the non-free software user, no.  If you have nothing to offer
> by way of help with vmware itself, then your silence will be enough to
> indicate that.

And the user will never find out why he's having that problem. I don't
think that not telling the user the cause of the problem is helping
him. And our priorities are free software, but we aren't allowed with
some respects free software is better than non-free software?

And for that "blow off", I already corrected that, right?

> Jeroen, I do not appreciate you speaking for the project in this
> way.

Sorry, I will try to not give you the feeling that I speak for the
project next time.

> As a
> member of the Debian project who believes firmly in the whole of our Social
> Contract, I cannot comprehend what makes you think you can throw about "we
> can" and "we can't" in blatant disregard for:
>
> 	"We will support our users who develop and run non-free
> 	 software on Debian ..."

The "can't help" means "not being able to help you", because we can't
fix any non-free software we aren't allowed to see and modify the
source of.

> If you have personal problems with the Social Contract's allowing that our
> users may use non-free software, get it changed.  And regardless, give a
> cordial answer to the non-free software user and lose the thinly-concealed
> hostility: "If you insist on using ... you should go ..." is dripping with
> it.  Does the user insist?  Have you evaluated his requirements?  Do you
> know for certain that he's not turning to vmware as a last resort?

Hmm, I knew somebody would find something to complain about in my
second try to word my opinion. I'm not even going to try to do it a
third time.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org