Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:25:04PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:58:24AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 06:39:19PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > I beleive this method is patented by somebody, which is why it's not in
> > > use/supported.
> > >
> > > Other than that, it's very nice idea. I beleive there may be some
> > > semi-implementations around somewhere. The concept is no different from
> > > normal rsync.
> >
> > has someone a pointer?
> >
> > This is rsync, only the server is the client und the client work as
> > server...
>
> Unfortunatly no. I just remember it as a passing comment while talking with
> Andrew Tridgell (creator of rsync).
>
> A google search turns up oblique references at:
>
> http://rproxy.samba.org/doc/notes/server-generated-signatures.txt

 'The current RProxy specifications at sourceforge.net do not have
  the client calculating the signature. Instead, the client gets the
  signature from the server when it first downloads the file, and saves
  this signature (just like an ETag) for use when re-loading the file.
  This mechanism was chosen only because of possible patent problems
  with client calculation of signature. These patent problems may need
  to be investigated.'

 Read the mails. The checksum-file is _download_ from the server and
 _not_ calculated from the client!

> http://www.sharemation.com/~milele/public/rsync-specification.htm (near bottom)

the same...

> http://pserver.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rproxy/doc/calu_paper/calu_paper.tex?annotate=1.1

the same...

> http://olstrans.sourceforge.net/release/OLS2000-rsync/OLS2000-rsync.html

the opposite point.

maybe I don't understand some points...
3 times server generateted checksums are forbidden by partent and one
time a client generateted checksums are forbidden...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them."