Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:58:24AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 06:39:19PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > I beleive this method is patented by somebody, which is why it's not in
> > use/supported.
> >
> > Other than that, it's very nice idea. I beleive there may be some
> > semi-implementations around somewhere. The concept is no different from
> > normal rsync.
> has someone a pointer?
> This is rsync, only the server is the client und the client work as
> server...

Unfortunatly no. I just remember it as a passing comment while talking with
Andrew Tridgell (creator of rsync).

A google search turns up oblique references at:

http://www.sharemation.com/~milele/public/rsync-specification.htm (near bottom)

Someone on debianplanet suggests it may be a rumour. I don't know, I can't
find any precise patent numbers.

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/