Re: How about pptp-linux? (was: Why was libpam-pgsql removed from the woody lineup?)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:57:00AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > >
> > > It has not. Check madison's output on pandora.
> >
> > On a related note:
> > No one's responded to my question as to why pptp-linux was removed.
> > Its last RC bug was resolved already by the version in testing before it
> > was removed from testing.  It's a pretty important package for those who
> > use ADSL, at least here in the Netherlands.
>
> I heard a rumour that it was removed because kernel-patch-mppe is buggy
> and pptp-linux claims in its description that it needs that. I have no
> idea whether that's the real reason.

The problem (AFAI remember) is that pptp is able to communicate with M$
pptp clients when some features are enabled. From /etc/ppp/pptpd-options:

#require-chap
#require-chapms
#require-chapms-v2
#+chap
##+chapms
##+chapms-v2
##mppe-40
##mppe-128
##mppe-stateless

to have these options working and so to be able to accept M$ clients as
well (it might be that they can connect without it as well - I have not
checked) you need to apply the mppe kernel patch.

Again - pptp works fine without that, you only have to disable these
options in the default config file, which has been done:

pptpd (1.1.2-1) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * Took out all MPPE options from pptpd-options (the options for pppd) as
    long as the default pppd package does not support it.
    Closes: #61651
  * Changed maintainer email to rmayr@debian.org

 -- Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@debian.org>  Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:17:51
+0100