Re: Description to man pages

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:45:29PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> Since I hated to start dselect again and again just to read a package
> description I wrote a script "dsc2man" which creates appropriate man
> pages for each package.
>
> To minimize possible conflicts with other names it creates man pages in
> section 6 (games!). Of course this can be configured in the config file.
> I'd rather like to know which is a better place for it.

Use a subsection. For instance, somepackage(1dsc) goes in
$(mandir)/man1/somepackage.1dsc.gz. This should avoid clashes, and you
can pass man the '-e dsc' option to look at those pages exclusively. It
might also be a good idea to write to /usr/local/man by default rather
than /usr/share/man.

Would it be possible to make it easier to use for those who don't use
debiansynch? I couldn't figure out how to get it to work at all -
whatever I tried just ended up with "0 processed of 0". I don't have a
local mirror, so I'd like it just to use the available file.