Re: libsmpeg0 *will* break if not doing upgrade/dist-upgrade from potato->woody [Was: Re: libsmpeg0 shlibs is broken, fix it or we shalt lose whatever.]

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:37:47PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 09:48, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > apt-get install libsmpeg0
> > from potato box using woody sources makes every smpeg-dependent program
> > to stop functioning. This is not technical excellence that Debian
> > enjoys.
> This is absolutely true.
> Is there a solution?

If this'd been noticed a few months ago, we'd have rebuilt all the
packages and been happy. It should've been noticed months and months
and months ago, for woody+1 we need to do a better job of finding these
things early rather than late.

The easiest solution is probably to add a Conflicts: line to libsmpeg0
against all the packages that used to Depend: on it in potato, which seems
to be:

    Conflicts: libsmpeg-dev (<= 0.3.5-1), smpeg-gtv (<= 0.3.5-1),
               smpeg-plaympeg (<= 0.3.5-1)

That'll ensure that apt/dpkg won't upgrade the library while leaving the
other packages alone. The only downsides are that it's ugly and that it
doesn't let you leave the old shared library installed along with the new
one for any locally built programs that might be a nuisance to rebuild. These
downsides probably aren't worth worrying about.

> aj, I assume you won't allow a solution that needs everything using
> libsmpeg to be recompiled. Is this true?

Yup.

Cheers,
aj

                        Vote [1] Bdale!