Re: Packages file (long email) [WAS: Splitting Packages]

> 1) where priority should include "essential"

I like this since it solves the same purpose, a separate essiential line
isn't necessary. Besides there is an overwrite file for each Packages
file, so ftp master can set/change the priority of each package.

> 2) Instead of using the different keywords such as Conflict:, Pre-Depends:,
>    Replaces: etc, etc, I would rather suggest one line only that will
> include
>    all of them and each pkg listed can be prepended with some info ex:
>    + depends
>    * conflict
>    = replace
>    ! pre-depends
>    etc. etc. (just an example!)
>    so to look like
>    Depends: +base-files (>= 2.1.12), !libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), *bash-completion
>    and so on...
>    In this way is possible to save some lines in the file and the parser can
>    benefit from that.

Well it's a good idea to put all dependences into one line regardless of
their type. But I'm not sure if your proposed synax is okay, maybe a
space (or a '=') between dependence type and package name might improve
the readability.

 Dependences: + base-files (>= 2.1.12), ! libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), ...

For the rest I think it's better to leave them as they are.

O. Wyss

--
Author of "Debian partial mirror synch script"
("http://dpartialmirror.sourceforge.net/";)