Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:52:45PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > And how does that save bandwide if you have only one computer
> > downloading packages? With multiple computers it does, I use apt-proxy
> > for this.
> Simply because it does the download in a smart way using rsync. First it
> downloads the Packages instead of the Packages.gz. Today it was around 130k
> instead of the 1.5M, well above 10 times better.

Downloading gzipped diffs seems to be around 20k on most days, up to
60k max, which is a further 2 - 6 times better.

rsync uses fixed block sizes, so diff will always do significantly better
for Debian.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey